– the second largest city in France, after Paris,
We spent little time visiting this wonderful lady and found her street cars to be pure whimsy…
This for becomes the foundations of the current Basilica known as Notre-Dame de la Garde – literally Our Lady of the Guard
It is a major local landmark and the site of a popular annual pilgrimage every year on Assumption Day, August 15.
The basilica was consecrated on June 5, 1864 and replaced a church of the same name built in 1214 and restored in the 15th century.
We found the a Café across from the Gare de Marseille-Saint-Charles, a most magnificent train station
The Brasserie de la Gare provided us a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the Mediterranean view….
We dined al fresco and had some delightful dishes….
The seafood so fresh and marvelous and the Salad Niçoise absolute perfection….
Hope you enjoyed our brief and wonderful visit to Marseille
- Marseille makeover: the brand spanking new Hôtel-Dieu (standard.co.uk)
- €3 billion invested in Marseille to turn round city (telegraph.co.uk)
- Marseille: InterContinental Marseille – Hotel Dieu (highlife.ba.com)
- Vieux Port; Marseille, France (aidanpapalia.wordpress.com)
- Goodbye Marseille (aidanpapalia.wordpress.com)